Monday, February 10, 2014

Surgery Follow-up: drain still in but cancer OUT

I was looking forward to the surgeon removing the drain today but I've had an increase in output and today between 8:30 this morning and the time that I saw the surgeon, I was already close to the volume that I should be at for the day (morning & night), so I'll have to keep it in and call the office on Friday to report volumes and possibly come in to the office so he can side it out and if the volumes are not where they need to be, wait until sometime next week. If the drain is removed prematurely, I could develop a big bubble of fluid under my arm that is "uncomfortable", that they would have to poke a hole in and drain-"ain't nobody got time for that." It was also good to hear that the incisions are healing up nicely. I do have an awkward-muscle is alseep- type feeling in part of my tricep area but he said that was good that I still had some kind of feeling and that he had worked really hard to work around and save the nerves in that area during surgery-I think that's why it took so much longer than expected-thank God for answered prayer-so many others have been praying for me throughout this journey and in addition to those petitions on my behalf-in prayer in the operating room holding area before this last surgery daddy asked God to guide the surgeon, causing him to do what needed to be done and how it needed to be done)-"many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails" Proverbs 19:21 The surgeon may have originally planned a fairly brief procedure (1hr) but I believe God moved in him to really take his time to try to work around the nerves in that area. Speaking of the surgery, the GREATEST PRAISE Report of the appointment is that based on the pathology-only 1 of the 10 lymph nodes(less lymph nodes than anticipated) that were removed this time around had a microscopic amount of cancer with all of the other lymph nodes coming back negative-they believe the cancer is OUT of my body!!! Even with the negative margins in the breast tissue, I will still have to undergo radiation treatment but because the lymph nodes are now clear it will be limited to the breast area-that also decreases the chances of developing lymphodema-one of the complications that I was concerned about with regard to having more lymph nodes removed. This afternoon God reminded me of something He had kept me from while undergoing chemo as daddy was sharing with me that one of the tenants at my apartment complex asked him for a jump and when he told him that he was here to go to an appointment with his daughter, the man told him that his sister had stage 4 colon cancer and that the chemo had really done a number on her mind-he (her brother) was the only person she could remember. Had it not been for God's grace-there go I. I didn't mention above but as always me and daddy had fun in the doctor's office-lol. He had me rotfl (rolling on the floor) laughing! He was a bit on the delirous side and with his eyes closed said like a car, his "battery" was running low so he couldn't have everything going at once-thus his eyes were closed but he was still listening-LOL. TGBTG for laughter and His joy and for His HEALING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment