Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ready Set...Wait

I'm blessed and thankful to report that a week (and some change) after the treatment with the Hercepton and Projeta, the side effects have been limited to fatigue and God has blessed me to get more naps in too as needed-He's good like that- always has a way of working it out and providing for our needs. In the last post I mentioned that I would have to have a scan done in preparation for the radiation treatments. Well it was actually what they call a simulation (for the radiation treatments). While it did include a quick CT scan, that was not all. While laying on the platform that slides in and out of the CT machine, the radiologist put an inflatable mat underneath my upperbody that they then let air in and back out of so that it would mold to the shape of my body. He also placed some strategic marks on me with a sharpy, took measurements and came back and used a needle and ink to make permanent dots in those locations (4 or 5 different spots). I told him that was the closest to a tattoo that I would ever get because I don't like needles like that-lol. Pics were also taken for reference. I had been in that particular room before, as I had had to have a CT scan to check for indications of cancer in other parts of my body (PRAISE God for not allowing it to spread further than the breast and lymph nodes), but this time as I was laying there looking up at the ceiling, God brought to my attention a cross that was carved out of one of the ceiling tiles. I mentioned it to the radiologist who said that it's used for lasers (I'm guessing that it directs the laser's light. The significance of it to me was the reminder that though in a new phase of treatment, God was saying to me, "new phase, but I'm still here." All of the components of the simulation are meant to aid in making sure that I'm in the exact same position everyday I come in for radiation. Now about that treatment...I was initially scheduled to begin the radiation treatments on the 10th, which is tomorrow. However when I called to find out what time I needed to be there for each treatment, I was told that my treatment plan (the radiation part of it) was still being worked on and that they'd give me a call on Monday morning or afternoon to let me know. So I'm pretty sure the radiation start date will be delayed by atleast a day and I was looking forward to getting it going-the sooner the start, the sooner the finish, but I know God's still got me covered and there's a reason He's allowed it to be so. While the enemy will try to convince us otherwise, delay is by no means reason to be discouraged (granted sometimes when we're first made aware of a delay, we may go there for a moment-more importantly we must not stay there). I remember when instead of starting my very 1st chemo treatment on a Tuesday, God, Who ALWAYS does what's BEST and Who tells us in His word (Romans 8:28) "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose", that allowed it to be delayed until the Thursday of that same week. That Tuesday I came in fasted because I had not been informed by the staff either way but found out that having food in the stomach is encouraged. I think I would have had more issues as far as reactions to that 1st treatment (both during and after)had I recieved it on that Tuesday rather than that Thursday. I still trust His plan and His timing-He still knows BEST and is still working it out for His glory and for my good.

2 comments:

  1. That is encouraging Summer! I will continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful you were encouraged Ben and thank you for your prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete