Friday, January 17, 2014

Decision Made & Follow-up with Oncologist

On my way to see my oncologist I could not help but shed more tears of joy as I listened to one of my songs Marvin Sapp's "You Are God Alone" reflecting on God's goodness and how He's brought me thus far in this journey. While waiting to hear my name called in the lobby of the dr's office, daddy asked me which way I was leaning. I told him towards the lumpectomy because I can remember early on when my oncologist gave me the diagnosis and how just as a thought of concern regarding the possibility of losing a breast came to mind, God was like "I got it", and while it was/is a desire of my heart to keep my breasts, I have not been praying for breast conservation, but I know that others have been. The way that God took care of the concern of the mass being to close to the nipple as well as shrinking the size so drastically so that breast conservation was a valid option-He answered those prayers, and one of the desires of my heart regarding this battle and has left it up to me to recieve it in faith. I say recieve it in faith because as mentioned my previous post, there is a difference in the chance of recurrence (the mastectomy has a lower chance of recurrence). God's hand has been at work through out this whole process. I trust Him to keep me the rest of the way and after He's completed the healing process, to continue to keep me-my health included. I don't put my trust and hope in stats, but I put my trust in God. We can say how much we believe God for something but the real tell-tell is not in our words but in our actions. Most of all I have God's peace about the decision to go with the lumpectomy-the peace that comes from being in line with what He wants. My oncologist was all smiles as she walked in saying, "are you ready for some good news?" (she didn't know we had already heard good news from the surgeon yesterday, but hey it's better and a blessing to hear good news multiple times than to have to hear bad news multiple times ;-) Anyway she shared with us again about the great response to the chemo. She did however add that considering the infusion therapy (the 2 drugs I will need to finish out a year on)in addition to the radiation that my body will have to endure, going with the lumpectomy, which would be minimal surgery is a smart decision. She also said that if for some reason down the road I decide to get a mastectomy and then have reconstruction, I could still have that done. I will start radiation a month after the surgery. Btw my oncologist said the way in which the cancer was discovered (via a nurse practicioner who noticed a lump in a routine physical) was a miracle. Miracle Worker-that's my God! I called the surgeon's office to let them know that I'd opted for the lumpectomy. Now yesterday before I left I was told that the earliest time they had for the 28th would be 12pm and that I would need to arrive at 10am and fasted. but the lady was suppose to check with the hospital to see if they could get an earlier time. However when I called today I was told that the earliest would be 1pm. While I was on the phone daddy reminded me to ask if they were going to inject the dye into the lymph nodes when I arrived, she'd forgotten about that part and said she would have to give me a call back and if I didn't hear from her to call her at 9am on Monday to confirm the time. I told daddy that was a long time (to go without food on that day) but he said it wasn't that long considering the time that had already passed in the whole process but I quickly countered with "yeah daddy but we had food through out that whole time" lol. Going in around mid day fasted-much prayer lol. Seriously though I know God will bless me to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment