Thursday, January 16, 2014

Surgeon Consult: MRI Prelim Report & Decisions (Mastectomy or Lumpectomy?)

Last night I listened to "I Told the Storm" (Greg O'Quin 'N Joyful Noize) multiple times.Some words in that song "disease can't take me" as well as one of the overall message of the storm-the reminder that God's in control and storms too must obey Him really resinated with me. Then this morning in my QT with God, something He put in my spirit: no matter what we face, we can take courage, we can walk boldly with confidence and without fear because God is with us and He is our Help. As servants of the Lord we don't have to worry about our enemies; those who oppose us and wage war against us-God is our Help and He will deal with them. We don't have to be dismayed, bewildered or discouraged about anything-God is our Help. We don't have to worry about not having enough strength for the assignment-God will strengthen us and hold us up. What a blessing it is to know that God has chosen us and not cast us away. Isaiah 41:9-12 What a set-up for the praise report regarding the consult with the surgeon that took place this afternoon. My parents and I met with the surgeon today. For some reason the radiologist at my oncologist's office had not done read the MRI images nor had the images been sent to the surgeon as they were suppose to. However daddy was able to go and pick up a preliminary report of the MRI as well as a disc with the images for the surgeon to review. The surgeon conducted a physical exam as well. There are some calculations that the radiologist will still have to do but that aside the praise report: "Excellent clinical response" to chemo/"positive response to chemo"; the lymph node that was swollen, biopsied, and found to be cancerous now appears normal,no new enlarged nodes, mass in my breast after 4 rounds of chemo has decreased from a volume of 80x63x52mm to 57x43x45mm (anterior-posterior x craniocaudal x transverse), the mass has also shrunk away from the nipple that a lumpectomy is still an option. The last round of chemo was just last Tuesday so I'm thinking it's possible that the mass may shrink some more. The surgery date has been set for the 28th of this month (need to give body time to recover to get built back up before surgery. right now been on mostly liquids and protein shakes some rice, crackers, and graham crackers until digestive system gets back on track) but I will need to call the surgeon's office to let them know if I want to go with a 1)mastectomy or 2)lumpectomy. Mastectomy (remove breast)-chance of reoccurence is 5%, no radiation chemo would be required post surgery, and I would have to finish out my one year of 2 of the drugs that where administered through my port as a part of chemo before I could be scheduled for breast reconstruction via fat grafting from the stomach. Lumpectomy (breast conserved, mass and certain amount of tissue around it removed)-chance of reoccurance is 12%, if the margins of the tissue removed are not negative, surgeon will have to go back in and remove some more breast tissue, sentinel lymph node biopsy will be a part of the procedure as well,still have to finish out the one year of the 2 drugs, radiation chemo. We'll see what my oncologist says in my tomorrow afternoon's follow up. Early when my oncologist mentioned that I might lose my breast, I remember God told me then not to worry about it and that He had it. He's held to that. I listened to the surgeon today, and God-willing, I will listen to my oncologist tomorrow afternoon, but ultimately, rather than leaning on man's understanding or on my own, I want to go with whatever God says, whatever that is. He knows best and He knows the plans that He yet has for me. The surgeon said I'd done a great job-but I was quick to point to God. The measure of faith that I have-God gave me. He is my strength, He is my healer and He is my sustainer. He is the reason I can share this praise report tonight. Just like I mentioned above. God is my Help. Side note: the surgeon told me that of the numerous surgical procedures he's performed, I was the 1st one that he'd ever caused to have a pneumothorax- yet more confirmation that God ordained it that way for His own purpose and reasons. Of all of the other complications that could have resulted from the procedure to insert the mediport, what a blessing that a pneumothorax was the only one I had. In the words of my pastor, to God be the glory for the great and marvelous things he hath done and may I also add for the things He's doing and will do!!! What a MIGHTY God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment