Saturday, November 16, 2013

Follow-up and AdJusTmEnTs

On Thursday I met with my dr/oncologist to see if we were still on schedule with my chemo and also because of the note to follow-up in my discharge papers. So what did the dr.say? Well... -as a result of the 1st round of chemo 2 "bad things" happened: 1)white blood cell count took a serious hit 2)infection indicated by my fever (side note:my temp of 101.3 was like a "normal" person having a temp of 105) negative cultures at the hospital is an indication that it wasn't bacterial(but could've been viral or fungal) -he wants to give me the best chance for survival so he does not want to reduce the concenctrations of the chemicals because that reduces the effectiveness of the chemo and of course does not want to stop the chemo all together (which he said that if I were in my 80s would be his recommendation-btw this is one of those comments where we listen but we don't listen) -my next treatment will be this Thursday, 21st but I will have to come in to get blood drawn the day before to make sure my white blood cell count is high enough to handle the treatment the next day -an adjustment that will be made this time around is to have me come back the day after chemo for a shot that is equivalent to 6 daily neupogen shots, that is time released (The neupogen shots are what I was given for a couple days while in the hospital to help my body produce more white blood cells) -white blood cell count tends to be the lowest around days 5-10 following a treatment so wearing a mask and staying away from pets and large crowds would be helpful in infection prevention this time around. I'm reminded of the fact that sometimes in sports you prepare for the game and come up with a strategy for victory but during the game the oponent shows you some different looks that were not anticipated pre-game. But just because the opponent show's you a different look or because your pre-game strategy does not appear to be yeilding the anticipated results does not mean that you have to accept the "L" It just means that a timeout needs to be called and that some gametime adjustments need to be made and it's with those adjustments that victory can still be achieved. What gets teams in trouble sometime is when they go into panic mode or keep trying to force a gameplan that is proving to be ineffective in gametime situations. So it is in life and in times of war, we must be willing to adjust as our Ultimate Life Coach and Great Commander leads us. It's also important to note that these adjustments may require more effort on our part, may be less desirable than the original plan, and may go against our natural tendencies. They might even bring about a more intense battle/struggle on the inside but we've got to be willing to make the adjustments (not in our own strength but with the Strength and Grace that God gives us). We can do all things through Christ Who gives us STRENGTH. And for those who loved me enough to tell me what was going to work for to my benefit rather than what I was hoping to hear and even get on my case about doing everything I can to protect myself and especially with the dr's comments regarding my white blood cell count. They were right and I know it was the Holy Spirit that was leading them to say what they said to get the point accross. That's real love and I'm grateful. That being said adjustments: -this wknd I'm staying in that includes home from church on Sunday but I'm thankful that I'll atleast have access to live streaming during service. (probably a good idea throughout the duration of the cold&flu season) -will have to settle for conferencing in to Singles Ministry real talks (started with earlier today-blessed to listen rather than to have to miss it all together) and no Raul Jiminez this year -as much as I love my mentee, I'm going to have to take a break from the mentoring program for the remainder of this school year because of all of the contact with kids and being on exposed to germs in the school. I'm really going to miss my mentee, the activities and the lunchtime school visits and I've shed a few tears already but it's an adjustment that has to be made. -wear mask on days 5-10 following chemo and on the regular at work (already sent out an email while in the office yesterday to give everyone a heads up that I would need to kind of put myself on quarantine because of a compromised immune system and not wanting to risk causing any complications with my treatments) Something that the Lord put on my heart yesterday (but since I didn't post yesterday am sharing now): "Thine, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heaven and the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name."1 Chronicles 29:11-13 Just a reminder of the AWESOME God we serve and why we can walk with a holy boldness and confidence that comes from placing all of our hope and trust in our God regardless of what we face in this life. one more note: I did not cut my hair off but decided I would see if God would allow me to be one of the ones who recieve the type of chemo I'm recieving and actually keep their hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment