Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Unexpected Hospitalization-Pneumothorax

On Saturday night when the on-call oncology dr. recommended that I get to the ER after inquiring about approved meds for a severe headache(being a chemo patient, I have always have to check before using any new meds-including over-the-counter) and reporting a fever of 101.3 (higher than the grade of fever that was suppose to be reported to the dr. on call), I didn't expect to be admitted to the hospital as a result. As a part of normal protocol, radiology took x-rays of my chest which revealed that I had a Left Pneumothorax (collapsed lung). I was told that most likely during the surgical placing of the mediport, the surgeon had punctured my left lung and caused a slow leak and that they would have to go ahead and do a procedure to insert a small tube to fix the problem. Highlights: memorable-heart-touching moments: -a sister in Christ who's a retired nurse wanting the ER nurse to explain exactly what they were going to be doing to me-what procedure they had opted for to repair the Left Pneumothorax (collapsed lung) -a sister's in Christ praying circled around me in prayer before the ER physician began the procedure to insert the tube into my lung -after the procedure brothers and sisters in Christ standing in the ER room with me and then my daddy walking in (they had to start the procedure before he could get to the hospital-he lives an hour and some change away) -laughing and talking with fam and brothers/sisters in Christ who came to visit (including mom, granny, and one of my brothers driving in on Sunday night to visit and one sister in Christ who made me drink the broth of the veggie soup when I needed to eat but didn't have much of an appetite-the veggies in the soup were not cooked long enough and weren't good. When this sister told me to turn the bowl up, I did but then I turned the bowl her way to show her that I had done it-I admit this was a "kid" moment-LOL) God used each visitor as well as those who weren't able to visit but did call or txt to bless me in their own unique way -Phone call from friend and sister in Christ who's out of state-talking and plenty of laughing -a cute stuffed animal frog holding a box of candy and get well balloons that was delivered to my room on behalf of the singles ministry that the Lord has blessed me to lead :-) -get well card and book from the "Forget Me Not Sisters"-the card had one of my theme scriptures for this season of my life in it: "We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us." Romans 8:37 -watching Sunday night and some Monday night football with daddy funny moments: -amongst the items that a friend and sister in Christ hooked me up with for my hospital stay-lepard print pj bottoms with lepord print house shoes and a shirt to match and "granny panties" LOL ALL of which came in handy and I wore proudly:-) -after the procedure in the ER when daddy mentioned in front of some of my church fam that he was thinking about next time just bringing me home after my next round of chemo-they kinda looked at him and one said do you have a trailer-room for us? -daddy setting up a one of the hospital bedside trays to be a makeshift pulpit with his bible and notes talking about he was going to preach to me -Pink Magic-prescribed by the dr. to help out with some areas in my mouth that were irritated to the point of hindering my eating. My instructions from the nurse were to swish the amount he had poured in a cup around in my mouth and then swallow it. Those are the instructions on the bottle to but in practice, not a good idea. When I did this immediately I began to feel like my tongue was swelling up (it was really going numb), and I started feeling like I was going to choke because I couldn't swallow and talking like my tongue was swollen and/or extra thick. I almost went into panic mode but God. Eventually it wore off some and I regained feeling in my tongue and was able to eat. I don't have to ever try that stuff again. -Tuesday morning when the x-ray team came in the room for my daily chest x-ray, daddy said he almost forgot where he was and that team was almost in trouble because he almost went into defense mode like someone busting into the house Miscellaneous: -cute lab man drawing my blood (when the blood drawn by the previous lab man came out too slow and began to clot and rendered useless for the analysis) -when the Lung dr. told me that they did not use a local anesthetic for removing the type of tube that had been inserted in my lung, I had a flash back of crying before I got a whoop'n because that's exactly what I felt like LOL. It hurt but it was not that bad. Evidence of God's hand and His goodness: -Several including doctors asked me if how I knew I had a Pneumothorax-if had experienced shortness of breath, etc., my answer was no, they found it via x-ray when I came to the ER as a chemo patient with fever, headaches, and sore gland. More simply put, God's Grace. Had it not been for the severe headache and fever, I would not have called the on-call dr. and could've ended up in a worse situation. -God provided me a ride to the hospital via a sister in Christ who lives down the street and around the corner from me(I haven't tried to drive anywhere since last monday and was still pretty weak physically) -the encouragement He sent through brothers and sisters in Christ -being able to laugh and clown in the hospital room inspite of physical condition and overall still smiling and still joyful in the Lord -discharged from the hospital earlier today "For we know that ALL things work together for the good of them that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment