Saturday, October 26, 2013

Mediport Surgical Procedure-Another Step Forward-TGBTG

On Thursday night, I "accidently" went to sleep without putting my phone on silent as I normally would. I say "accidently" because it was really no accident, God arranged it that way because He knew I would need the phone to be loud enough for me to hear in my sleep when my pastor called to pray with me regarding Friday's procedure. It's a blessing to hear prayers lifted on my behalf and also to know that so many are praying for me. As I have mentioned previously, I can feel the prayers being lifted on my behalf too. Friday: During my quiet time in the study on the healing miracles of Jesus, God in His infinite wisdom, saw fit to remind me through the lady with the issue of blood that my healing is in my faith. It's our faith that makes us whole. Just to clarify that's faith in God alone. Daddy and I arrived to check in a little more than 2 hrs before my procedure was scheduled as we were instructed to get there 2 hrs in advance incase they were able to work me in earlier. As the began the process of getting me situated (bed, checking weight and vitals, asking questions, etc.), I mentioned that had had some water earlier that morning. I knew I had to come in fasted but it hadn't occured to me that I couldn't have water either. Because having any kind of fluid in my stomach including water, had the potential to cause complications during the procedure, the anesthesiologist opted to move another case in front of me to give adequate time for my stomach to empty itself of the water. The case that was moved in front of me was scehduled for a duration of 2hrs. In the meantime daddy and I had some biblestudy. He had also been looking at the woman with the issue of blood. It's something how God works:-) Then one of my sisters suprised me and the 3 of us got to laughn, talking, and cutting up, right there in my rm/area. I was laughn so hard, I was in tears lol. When the time came to get the IV started they ended up having to start it in my hand. I'm so thankful that they'll be able to use the mediport instead of my veins for the chemo, given the trouble that my veins have been giving those who needing to start an IV or draw my blood. The nurse drew blood around from the same place the IV was inserted but only to recieve a call from the lab that more blood would have to be drawn because the cells had been ruptured during the proceess of drawing the blood. However God worked it out so that I was able to give a urine sample instead. (He already knew I wasn't trying to get stuck anymore times than I had too. lol). Before being rolled back the operating room nurse, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist all came back to talk to me at separate times. I know there's a good reason for why a patient is asked the same questions multiple times by multiple people in the same facility but I told daddy I was gonna make a sign with that information on it and lay it on top of my blanket so I could just point lol. God has blessed me to have only been in the operating room as a young child-adenoids removed, and in the 4th grade having my left elbow set. I had no memories of the inside of an operating room, I'm guessing because I was so young when my adenoids were removed and I laughed myself to sleep under whatever anesthesia they gave me when I had my elbow reset before I even hit the operating room. This time I was still awake when they rolled me into the operating room. the last thing I remember before being was the nurse saying, you're not feeling sleepy yet? No sooner than me saying well a little bit, that was it. Next thing I knew they were rolling me out to recovery with an oxygen mask on my face. The meds they had me on were making me feel like I couldn't take deep breaths and I had pain in the front and in the back. the mediport was placed under my skin on the upper inside area of my left breast (you can actually see a lump where it was placed). I was also told that the procedure took longer because I have protruding collar bones that caused the surgeon to have to go a different route when inserting the mediport. While I was in the recovery area, the anesthesiologist came over to check on me. When I told him about the pain and feeling like I could not take deep breaths, he recommended a different type of pain medicine. It took that pain med less than a minute to kick in. I started getting giggly and by then my dad was also there and I was asking him how people can function on this stuff-lol. I had my dad and the nurse laughing and i was cracking mysekf up too-lol. As the nurse was trying to go over instructions I had to stop and ask my dad if he was listening because I was hearing but not "hearing" because of that last pain med and I was not going to remember what she was saying. Lol. they also offered me something to drink and either graham crackers or saltines. I chose the graham crackers and tore 'em up too (this was around 5pm-1st taste of food that day) and I asked for some for the road too lol-they had me on those meds. They rolled me out to the truck because I wasnt able to walk without assistance yet.From there I felt like I had to really concetrate to give daddy directions on how to get to the places we needed to stop before heading in. Inspite of the pain and discomfort and though an anticipated few hrs had turned into 12 hrs, God still blessed us through His word and blessed us to laugh and the procedure was a success. For that I'm thankful.Coming up the stairs to my apartment was sure a different experience than times past but God blessed me to make it. By the time I got to the top, I had begun to shake (anesthesia wearing off). Daddy helped me get all settled in. watched a few minutes of football before he suggested that I try to go to sleep. After giving me a few minutes and noticing that I hadn't dropped off to sleep yet, he knelt beside my bed and began to pray silently. It wasn't long after that that I felt the peace and comfort of our AWESOME God and I was able to get halfway asleep, which was so much better than wide awake. Before daddy took off he reminded me that God had me (would take care of me) and that God had him too (would take care of him on the road as he made the trip back home). I may have taken a hit physically yesterday, and I may have some scars because of it but most importantly God kept my faith intact. I still trust Him. Another step of forward progress in this journey. TGBTG for that. Even in the roughest days, God is still able to give us reasons to smile, He's still able to show us that He's right there with us, loving us all the way through. We have to make the choice not to get consumed in what we're going through but to with God's help, look for Him and how He will work through that circumstance/situation. We don't need perfect conditions, or a life that is free of pain and difficulty. Nor do we need a life that is free of struggles and challenges. We need the Lord-Thank God for relationship with Him that goes through Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment